Aussie expat Terri-Anne Leske shares her quick and easy recipe for healthy meatballs with zoodles, also featured in her latest recipe book, Carrotsticks and Cravings. (P.S. She shares even more recipes here!)
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
500 grams mince beef
1 brown onion, grated
1 carrot, grated
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tbsp chopped basil
½ cup grated parmigiano-eggiano cheese
100 grams bacon, diced
¼ cup semi-sundried tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp tomato paste
Sea salt and cracked pepper
2 cups tomato passata
2 cups cherry tomato
2 large zucchinis
Basil and cheese to serve
1. In a bowl mix together mince, onion, carrot, garlic, herbs, cheese, bacon, sundried tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper and mix until fully combined.
2. Roll mixture into small balls and set aside (now is the time to freeze some balls before cooking if desired).
3. In a large frying pan, fry meatballs until browned on each side. Pour in passata and cherry tomatoes and let it simmer for 10 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
4. Spiralize or peel raw zucchinis into spaghetti shape and serve out into bowls.
5. Top zucchinis with meatballs, sauce, torn basil and cheese.