Aussie expat Terri-Anne Leske shares her quick and easy recipe for one of her fave healthy, hearty soups, also featured in her latest recipe book, Carrotsticks and Cravings. (P.S. She shares even more recipes here!)
Ingredients (lasts a few meals, can be stored in the freezer):
1 garlic bulb
3 litres chicken stock
½ large butternut pumpkin
1 large head broccoli
4 large kale stalks
½ cup quinoa
8 stems flat leaf parsley
4 stems thyme
½ tsp cumin
200 grams spinach leaves
Sea salt and pepper
1. Pre heat the oven to 180ºC. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Remove one end of 6 cloves of garlic keeping cloves in the skin and wrap them in aluminium foil, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
3. In a large stockpot over medium heat, sauté the chopped leek with some oil until soft.
4. Add chicken stock, peeled and cubed pumpkin, washed and chopped broccoli, kale leaves with stems removed, quinoa, cumin, washed flat parsley and thyme with stems removed.
5. On high heat, bring soup to a boil then reduce to medium heat and cover.
6. Once garlic is roasted and soft, remove from skin and add to the soup. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes until pumpkin and quinoa are very soft, and remove the soup from the heat. Season with salt and pepper, add spinach leaves and blend in batches to make a pureed soup.
7. Serve with crunchy croutons and chilli oil or parmesan.